- DNS SRV record support in apt
- Apt supports a subset of the DNS SRV server records protocol as
- described in RFC 2782 for service discovery.
- Before connecting to the requested server APT will send a SRV
- record request of the form "_$protocol._tcp._$host", e.g.
- "_http._tcp.ftp.debian.org" or "_http._tcp.security.debian.org".
- If the server sends SRV records
- as a reply APT will use those to connect to the server(s) in
- this reply. It will honor the "priority" field in the reply.
- However it does not implement the "weight" algorithm as described
- in RFC 2782. It will use an equal weight for each server of the
- same priority.
- If connecting to a server fails APT will retry with the next one
- and remove the server from the list of valid servers for this